Learn how to organize teamwork
Teams serve to make it easier for you to manage collaborative documents and people who have access to them. This chapter covers the details of working with teams.
Note: To start working with teams, make sure that you're signed into your Icons8 account.
You can try out teams on a free plan. When you think you are ready, you can switch to our paid plan.
How it works with the free plan:
- You can create one team and invite two more members to the team.Thus, a free team can include up to 3 members. A user can be a member of one free team only.
- The total number of documents across all projects (including the ones in the trash bin) of a free team cannot exceed ten.
- Document version history is limited to 30 days.
With the paid plan, you get:
- As many team members as you need
- Unlimited number of team documents
- Unlimited version history
- Unlimited storage period for deleted documents
- Free Personal Cloud license for the team owner
When you decide to switch to the paid plan, click over the team name in the left panel, then click Upgrade plan and follow the instructions.
Note: If you are already a member of a free team (not an owner) and want to create a team on a paid plan, you've got to leave the free team first.
To create a team:
- Open the Home tab.
- In the left panel, click Create New Team.
- On the displayed screen, type the name of the team, then click Create team.
- (optional) On the next screen, click Copy link to send it to other team members. You can always copy the invite link in the upper-right corner Members tab of the team page.
- Click Continue.
The user who created a team is a team owner.
By right-clicking a team name in the left panel of the Home tab you can invoke the context menu that lets you:
To manage a team, switch to the Home tab, then click the required team name in the left panel. The team screen appears.
Each team screen features two tabs:
On this tab, you will keep your team documents organized in projects. You can think of projects as of folders. To start creating team documents, you should have at least one project.
All the documents within team projects automatically become available to the team members.
To create a project:
- Select the required team in the left menu of the Home tab. Make sure that the team screen opens on the Projects tab.
- In the upper-right corner of the screen, click New Project.
- Define the project name on the displayed screen.
Now you can add documents to the project. You can:
- Create new cloud documents from scratch.
- Import existing .sketch files.
- Import existing documents from Figma.
For this, use the respective buttons that appear at the top of each project.
The figure below shows a view of a project with two documents.
To show/hide a project name in the left panel, use the Pin () button in the upper-right corner.
To rename a project, use the context menu in the left panel (1) or click over the project name in the main area (2). Also, you can change the project avatar (3).
To delete a document from a project:
- Right-click over the document. The context menu shows up.
- On the menu, click Delete.
Deleted documents move to the Deleted screen of the Home tab. There you can restore or permanently delete documents.
To delete a project:
- Delete all documents from the project first.
Click the Delete project button in the upper-right corner.
Right-click over the project in the left panel, then click Delete on the context menu.
Note: Not all users can delete documents and projects. For details, check out the table below.
On this tab, you can:
- Get links to invite new members (1).
- Manage team members and their roles (2).
- Delete team members (3).
- Copy a link for a pending invite to resend it (4).
To get an invite link, click Invite user in the upper-right corner of the screen. The link gets copied to your clipboard, and a new record appears in the table of team members. Until the invitee opens opens the link, you’ll see the Invite pending caption instead of the username. Use the drop-down list in the Team permissions column, to assign the required user role:
- Can view. The set of permissions assigned by default to all users joining a team via an invite link. Users with this set of permissions can only view the content of team documents.
- Can export. This set of permissions is intended for developer handoff. Users with this set of permissions can view designs, inspect layer properties in the left panel, and export document content.
- Can edit. Users with this set of permissions can create and edit documents within the team. But they don’t have some administrative permissions.
- Admin. Team administrators get the extended set of permissions.
Once a user opens the link, their username and avatar appear on the Members tab. You can view team members’ profiles by right-clicking their avatars.
The table below shows the differences between the permission sets.
|Owner||Admin||Can edit||Can view||Can export|
|Change team plan||+|
|Change team avatar||+||+|
|Assign roles to team members||+||+|
|Delete members from team||+||+|
|Invite new members (copy links)||+||+||+|
|View list of team members||+||+||+||+||+|
|View list of projects||+||+||+||+||+|
|View list of documents||+||+||+||+||+|
To delete a team, right-click the team name on the left panel of the Home tab, then click Delete on the menu. Note that this operation is accessible only to the team owner.
- All the documents associated with the team move to Home > Deleted.
- Team members no longer have access to the documents.
- The name of the team appears dimmed in the left menu of the Home tab. A right-click over a deleted team invokes the context menu that lets you either permanently delete the team or restore it.